Castlemaine was built in 1886 by George Newman. It then became the summer residence of the Austro-Hungarian ambassador and his wife, the Baron and Baroness Hengelmueler. The Washington heat was too much for the ambassador and his wife, so they summered in Bar Harbor for its cool ocean breezes and lively social life.
Striking architectural details and antique furnishings honor the history of this Bar Harbor landmark. Castlemaine was converted to a B&B in 1981, and was purchased by its present owners, Dan and Dede Daigle, in 2007.
Historical photo of Castlemaine Inn from When Bar Harbor was Eden used with permission of author, Loretta M. Turner.